From: Megan Metcalfe-Wright
Thank you all for such a great weekend. It went too fast and I am sad it's over. I have been telling myself and everyone "You are awesome!" and plan to keep up the self talk.
Just a quick set of notes so that everybody has a written cue for some of the exercises we practised.
Warm up drills
10-15 metres of each
- Marching knee hugs
- Walking butt kicks with quad stretch
- Walking hamstring kicks/toy soldiers (use core and gluts to control and elevate leg)
- Walking toe touches ( sweep hands up then down into a hamstring stretch)
- Alternating side lunge (keep weight back and slide into groin stretch)
- Lunge with a twist
- Skipping with big arm circles
- Side skips
- Skipping high knees (the runner drill)
- Karaoke/cross overs
- Bounding (explosive powerful strides where you look and feel awesome)
- 3 x explosive squat jumps
If you're rocking these pre-race or before a long run, I recommend strutting around like a boss. Own it. Power. Strength. Joy.
10 x lunges (forward, backward, sideways, 45degrees, twist, reach)
This is meant to be changed and fluid. Play with it. You can do this anywhere with anyone. Help build up a friend and you will create a training partner! We did 30 second intervals.
- Mountain climbers
- Push ups
- Russian twist
- High/low plank (elbows to hands to elbows)
- Suitcase crunch
- Calf raises
Try keep hips level, core engaged
10x donkey kicks, fire hydrants, circle forward and backward
Supine single leg bridge. Keep TA engaged, hips level. 10 x single leg raise, 10 x abduction, 10 sec isometric hold at high, mid height, parallel and into abduction.
Front, back, each side. We did 30 sec. If easy add in leg raises. Keep TA engaged and stay flat. We did patty cake at the end.
- Cross body toe touches.
- Play with uneven surfaces. Very important for avid trail runners. Try eyes closed, mini squats, running arms, ball tosses
- Leg kicks: on back with arms spread out kick your opposite hand
- Scorpion: on belly with hand out kick opposite hand.
If you have any questions or want to advance or modify (or just want to say hi!) my email is firstname.lastname@example.org